- Lateral Entry Police Officers
Lateral Entry Police Officers
- All lateral entry police officers (LEPOs) are subject to the same hiring process and must meet the same hiring requirements as all other police officer applicants.
- College credit hours requirement is waived for current and former law enforcement officers.
- Applicants must not turn 45 years of age before taking the civil service examination.
- Have worked for any law enforcement agency as a sworn police officer with powers of arrest in the United States or U.S. Territories.
- Must have 36 months certified law enforcement experience with any city, county or state law enforcement agency.
- Have not been separated as a police officer for more than four months prior to the date of application.
- No pending disciplinary actions or investigations for misconduct or criminal activity.
- Time served as a reserve officer or other type of unpaid peace officer will not be used to calculate an applicant's total time on active service for either qualification for the lateral entry program or for computing compensation.
- Out of state LEPOs will complete the full Dallas Police Training Academy.
- The Commander of the Personnel Division determines whether any LEPO applicant meets the eligibility standards.
LEPOs are hired at the starting pay as follows:
Lateral Entry Police Officer
3 years' experience - $54,263.00
4 years' experience - $56,971.00
5/+ years' experience - $59,840.00