- Auto Theft
Auto Theft Unit
1400 Botham Jean Blvd.
Dallas, Texas 75215
The information contained in this site is provided to assist the citizens of Dallas.
Walk-in hours: Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m.
The Auto Theft Unit contains two squads, each with their own expertise:
- Auto Theft REACT Squad
- Salvage Squad
The Auto Theft REACT Squad
investigates the following:
- Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle (UUMV)
- Theft of Service (Rental Car Contracts)
1955 Vilbig Rd
Dallas, Texas 75208
The Salvage Squad investigates the Following:
- Chop Shops;
- VIN verifications - 68a's (by appointment only), or;
- Search VIN check - www.nicb.org
How to Make a Police Report
The Auto Theft Unit accepts complaints by 9-1-1 patrol generated reports, or in person. Please call 9-1-1 to report your vehicle as stolen. If you feel unsafe or experience a major delay after calling, go to the nearest substation to proceed with your report.
Complaints are accepted in person, Monday through Thursday from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM (excluding holidays), at Jack Evans Police Headquarters (1400 S. Lamar St, Dallas, TX 75215).
Complaints are only accepted from THE LAST PERSON IN LEGAL POSSESSION OF THE VEHICLE.
Valid identification is recommended to make a report. If applicable, please provide the following when making a report:
- License plate/assigned paper tag and state of registration;
- Make, model, and color of vehicle;
- Location and time the vehicle was last observed;
- Current location(s) of all vehicle keys.
Without the license plate info and/or VIN, the vehicle cannot be listed as stolen in the national database.
*If surveillance video is available, please inform the reporting officer upon making the report. if more information is discovered after the report has been made, have your case number available and contact the Auto Theft Unit at (214) 671-3535 or send an e-mail to email@example.com. [place your case number in the subject line (000000-YEAR (ex.2019) Video, Information, Suspect Leads]. The updated information will be routed to assigned detective or civilian investigator.
Due to the Dallas County District Attorney's Office guidelines, the Demand Process MUST be completed before a report can be made in the following circumstances:
- The person in possession of the vehicle was provided consent (currently or previously) to operate the vehicle - all permission to the vehicle is rescinded or revoked through the demand process.
- Mechanic/Auto Technician dispute - If you allowed another party possession of your vehicle due to requested repairs/maintenance (engine issues, paint/body work, etc.), but your vehicle has not been returned - ONLY if the contractual financial obligation has been satisfied. *If there is a dispute over payment, you will be referred to the Justice of the Peace court for civil remedies.
If you have a rental contract with an individual and your vehicle is being withheld beyond the agreed upon return date and no payment is being rendered, compete these documents. Both documents are required and must be delivered to the Auto Theft Unit at Dallas Police Headquarters, in person. Please e-mail to schedule an appointment.
If you need to report additional items that were contained within your vehicle when it was stolen, please complete the form provided, have it notarized, and return it to the Auto Theft Unit. Please list any identifying numbers (i.e. serial numbers) in your document. A delayed submission may require an in-person affidavit to be completed before entry.
If your vehicle has been recovered by the Dallas Police Department, please contact the Auto Pound at (214) 670-5116. To expedite the process, please have your Inventory Control Number (ICN#) available, if possible. The Auto Pound is located at 1955 Vilbig Rd, Dallas, TX 75208. If your vehicle was recovered by another agency you will be made aware of the location and/or contact number.
If you have questions regarding your case:
- Contact your assigned detective via phone or email (please have your case number ready).
- In-person: schedule an appointment with your assigned detective prior to arrive at HQs to assure availability.