- Auto Theft
Auto Theft Unit
1400 Botham Jean Blvd.
Dallas, Texas 75215
Walk-in hours: Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m. (noon)
To find out if your vehicle has been towed in the City of Dallas:
The Auto Theft Unit is comprised of two squads, each with their own expertise:
- Auto Theft REACT Squad
- Salvage Squad
investigates the following:
- Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle (UUMV)
- Theft of Service (Rental Car Contracts)
Salvage Squad investigates the Following:
- Chop Shops;
- VIN verifications - 68a's (by appointment only), located at 1955 Vilbig Rd Dallas, Texas 75208 Phone: 214-670-5900 Fax 214-370-0617
How to Make a Police Report
Auto theft reports should be reported by calling 9-1-1. All auto theft reports can be made by patrol officers, at any substation, or at Dallas Police headquarters.
If you feel unsafe or experience a major delay after calling 9-1-1, go to the nearest substation to proceed with your report.
To contact a detective or schedule an appointment please call (214) 671-3535 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports are only accepted from THE LAST PERSON IN LEGAL POSSESSION OF THE VEHICLE. THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE REGISTERED OWNER.
Valid identification is recommended to make a report. If applicable, please provide the following when making a report:
- License plate/assigned paper tag and state of registration;
- Make, model, and color of vehicle;
- Location and time the vehicle was last observed;
- Current location(s) of all vehicle keys.
Without the license plate info and/or VIN, the vehicle cannot be listed as stolen in the national database.
*If surveillance video is available, please inform the reporting officer upon making the report. if more information is discovered after the report has been made, have your case number available and contact the Auto Theft Unit at (214) 671-3535 or send an e-mail to email@example.com. [place your case number in the subject line (000000-YEAR (ex.2019) Video, Information, Suspect Leads]. The updated information will be routed to assigned detective or civilian investigator.
Due to the Dallas County District Attorney's Office guidelines, the Demand Process MUST be completed before a report can be made in the following circumstances:
- The person in possession of the vehicle was provided consent (currently or previously) to operate the vehicle - all permission to the vehicle is rescinded or revoked through the demand process.
- Mechanic/Auto Technician dispute - If you allowed another party possession of your vehicle due to requested repairs/maintenance (engine issues, paint/body work, etc.), but your vehicle has not been returned - ONLY if the contractual financial obligation has been satisfied. *If there is a dispute over payment, you will be referred to the Justice of the Peace court for civil remedies.
If you have a rental contract with an individual and your vehicle is being withheld beyond the agreed upon return date and no payment is being rendered, complete these documents. Both documents are required. These reports will be generated through DORS online reporting system.
If you need to report additional items that were contained within your vehicle when it was stolen, please complete the form provided, have it notarized, and return it to the Auto Theft Unit. Please list any identifying numbers (i.e. serial numbers) in your document. A delayed submission may require an in-person affidavit to be completed before entry.
If you have questions regarding your case:
- Contact your assigned detective via phone or email (please have your case number ready) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In-person: schedule an appointment with your assigned detective prior to arrival at HQ to assure availability.