CLAIMING A VEHICLE
If you are here to retrieve your vehicle or obtain personal property from it, you must prove a legal right to the vehicle by one of the following:
- Current vehicle title in your name
- Valid vehicle registration in your name
- Bill of sale for vehicle, less than (90) days old
- You were the listed driver at the time of the vehicles impoundment
- You are the complainant on an auto theft report and had the right to possess the vehicle at the time of the offense.
- Notarized “authorization to release automobile” form, signed by the owner or driver (original signature, not a copy).
- If ownership has changed within the last 30 days, a copy of the computer registration printout from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
* Required if the citizen is wishing to drive the vehicle from the pound.
Other possible documents needed for release can be found at:
"In accordance with the Texas Transportation Code Section 683 and the Dallas City Code, Chapter 2 and 28 after 30 days from the date of impoundment (90 days for recovered stolen vehicles), the vehicle's owner forfeits rights to the vehicle and it's contents. The vehicle and contents will be auctioned at public auction."
- Have your vehicle information ready.
- Please wait to be called to the cashier window.
Accepted forms of payment
PERSONAL OR THIRD PARTY CHECKS ARE NOT ACCEPTEDS
- American Express / Discover / Master card / Visa card
- Money orders / Traveler’s check / Cashier’s check
- Business check - payable to the “City of Dallas”.
REMOVING A VEHICLE/MOTORCYCLE FROM THE AUTO POUND
Remain in the lobby and wait for an escort by auto pound personnel. Only one (1) person per vehicle allowed with auto pound personnel.
To drive your vehicle from the auto pound, you or the appointed driver must have a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance. If you have insurance but not a driver with a valid license, the vehicle must be towed out of the pound.
If removing a motorcycle or scooter you must have a motorcycle ramp and another individual with a valid driver’s license or state issued ID and proof of insurance.
- THE FOLLOWING IS PROHIBITED ON CITY PROPERTY:
- NO WORKING ON VEHICLES
- NO JUMPING / BOOSTING OF BATTERIES
- NO CHANGING TIRES / FLATS
- NO GASOLINE
- NO REMOVAL OF ANYTHING ATTACHED TO VEHICLE. (RADIOS, SPEAKERS, AMPLIFIERS, TV’S, BATTERIES, ETC.)
- NO LOCKSMITHS. (EXCEPT BY THE PURCHASER OF THE VEHICLE ON AUCTION DAY ONLY.)
Regular - Tilt Bed - $121.00 and Up
$16.00 additional added every 15 minutes after 2 hours.
Medium Duty - $191.00 and Up
$23.75 additional added every 15 minutes after 2 hours.
Heavy Duty - $445.00 and Up
$39.75 additional added every 15 minutes after 2 hours.
$20.00/daily plus tax (8.25%)
OVER-SIZE STORAGE (Trailers, etc.)
$35.00/daily plus tax (8.25%)
$20.00/fee plus tax (8.25%)
$50.00 for certified letters sent to the registered owner and the lien holder 48 hours after the initial impoundment.
Reefer Refrigeration Fuel Charge
$3.50/per gallon of fuel added to reefer refrigeration trailers to keep the contents from spoiling.
ACCEPTED FORMS OF PAYMENT
- American Express
- Discover Card
- Master Card
- Visa Card
- Money Orders
- Traveler’s Check
- Cashier’s Check
- Business Checks - Payable to the “City of Dallas”.
**Transactions MUST BE ALL Cash or ALL Credit – No Split Payments**
- Personal or Third Party Checks
**SOLICITATION OF TOWING/WRECKER SERVICES IS PROHIBITED ON CITY PROPERTY**
- NO WORKING ON VEHICLES IS ALLOWED
- NO BOOSTS
- NO CHANGING TIRES / FLATS
- NO GASOLINE
- NO REMOVAL OF ANYTHING ATTACHED TO VEHICLE. I.E.(RADIOS, SPEAKERS OR BATTERIES)
- NO LOCKSMITHS (EXCEPTIONS) AUCTION DAY – PURCHASE OF AUCTION VEHICLE.
ABANDON VEHICLE AUCTIONS
Every other Monday, the City of Dallas Auto Pound auctions off all vehicles declared abandoned according to the Texas Transportation Code Section 683 and the Dallas City Code, Chapter 2 and 28. All that is required to view and bid on the vehicles is a valid State issued identification card or driver's license, or Mexican Consulate ID (Matrícula Consular de Alta Seguridad (MCAS). The vehicles purchased must be paid for immediately in cash only.
The auctions are held at the Auto Pound at 1955 Vilbig. Inspection of the vehicles starts at 8am the day of the auction and the auction begins at 10am.
Occasionally, due to some holidays, the auctions are rescheduled for a different date. For a calendar of the auctions and more information go to: