- Effects of Abuse
The Effects of Abuse
Why do women stay in abusive relationships?
- Economic dependence
- Fear of physical danger
- Fear of retaliation
- Emotional dependence
- Religious or cultural beliefs
- Fear of losing children
- Hope that he will change
- Fear of involvement in court processes
- Blames alcohol or some other problem for the above
- Believes abuse is her fault
- Believes she can make relationship work
- Lack of perceived alternatives
- Belief that violence is normal in a relationship
- Ambivalent about life changes.
An abusive relationship affects you!
Apart from physical danger, abuse can lead to such mental health problems as:
- Loss of appetite
Frequent abuse can destroy self-esteem and can lead you to:
- Accept abuse as a normal aspect of a relationship.
- Believe that you are responsible for the abuse.